EcoCart Project: Garcia River Forest
When you make your online order carbon neutral with Eco-Cart at checkout, you are supporting our local Garcia River Project. The Garcia River Forest project is located on California’s North coast in Mendocino County. The 23,780-acre forest has become a model site for demonstrating the important role forests play in addressing climate change. Its ecosystems safeguard habitats for rare and threatened species. Sustainable forest management of Garcia River enables the storage of more than 77,000 tons of carbon emissions annually. Careful, selective logging of its Redwood and Douglas fir timber contributes to the local economy of Mendocino County.
Acres of forest protected
Cars-worth of emissions absorbed per year
- Reduces carbon emissions in the atmosphere and fights climate change by protecting forests that help absorb carbon.
- Restores and protects wildlife habitats by practicing sustainable forest management and timber management that prevents the destruction of the habitats.
- Provides jobs and resources to the local community through sustainable timber management which bolsters the local economy by creating jobs and by supplying the local mill with timber.
- Restores the young forest and supports the local economy through selective logging.
- Tests new tools and techniques of forestation practices that can be applied to other forest protection projects and organizations.
Climate Action Reserve encourages action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by ensuring the environmental integrity and financial benefit of emissions reduction projects. It was founded in 2001 and establishes high quality standards for carbon offset projects, oversees independent third-party verification bodies, issues carbon credits generated from such projects and tracks the transaction of credits over time in a transparent, publicly-accessible system.
UN Sustainable Development Goals
Sustainable economic growth will require societies to create the conditions that allow people to have quality jobs. The Garcia River Forest project helps provide jobs to the local community.
Investments in infrastructure that are crucial to achieving sustainable development.
Climate change is a global challenge that affects everyone, everywhere. This project aids in reducing the amount of carbon in the atmosphere which helps ameliorate the effects of climate change.
Careful management of our global supply of water is a key feature of a sustainable future.
Sustainably managing forests, combating desertification, halting and reversing land degradation, and halting biodiversity loss. The Garcia River Forest project ensures a safe habitat for many different species of plants and animals.